Everything you need, nothing you don’t. Florida Storms is not just another weather app with a radar. It’s a clean and fast interactive map that alerts you to every storm, while at the same time delivers credible real-‐time audio and text alerts from the Florida Public Radio Emergency Network. Using a combination of Baron’s exclusive storm track algorithms and the expertise of a meteorologist, you’re certain to receive the most up-to-date information on any potential weather hazard.
View the latest tropical weather updates from the National Hurricane Center, find out if you’re in an evacuation zone, check if you’re in the path of a dangerous storm surge, or just review a checklist of items your family should have in case of a weather emergency. Once you have Florida Storms, you won’t need multiple apps to prepare for the next “big one”. Whether it’s just a routine lightning storm that might send you indoors or a major hurricane threatening your neighborhood, Florida Storms is the simplest and fastest way to stay informed of mother nature’s next move.
Features of Florida Storms include…
– Live radio stream of the nearest Florida Public Radio Emergency Network partner station, with option to choose from 12 others in the state in case of evacuation or traveling
– Push notifications from multiple sources, including the National Weather Service, the National Hurricane Center, Baron’s exclusive Doppler radar, and local emergency management personnel
– The ability to set up alerts for other locations, such as your second home, vacation or evacuation destination.
– Interactive real-time mapping of high-resolution radar, lightning, future radar, satellite, hurricanes and forecast models.
– Our favorite feature: “The feeds” offer real-time filtering of information from official sources, such as the nearest National Weather Service office, the National Hurricane Center, Florida Department of Transportation, the FPREN Storm Center and local emergency management offices.
– A simple, effective way to learn how to prepare for the next weather disaster, including what to do before, during, and after a storm
– Updates from certified FPREN meteorologists, including Facebook Live videos and blog articles.
Florida Storms is completely free and developed by the Florida Public Radio Emergency Network, in partnership with the University of Florida and Baron Critical Weather Intelligence. Updates from the Storm Center are provided by a team of certified meteorologists at the University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications, and are also available on your local Florida public radio station’s website or over the air.
The Florida Public Radio Emergency Network partners stations are WUWF (Pensacola), WFSU (Tallahassee), WKGC (Panama City), WUFT (Gainesville), WJCT (Jacksonville), WMFE (Orlando), WMNF and WUSF (Tampa-‐St. Petersburg), WFIT (Melbourne), WQCS (Ft. Pierce), WGCU (Ft. Myers), WDNA (Miami, and WLRN (Miami). Repeater stations include WJUF (Inverness), WMKO (Marco), WUCF (Orlando), WFSQ (Tallahassee), and WXEL (Miami). More information about the Florida Public Radio Emergency Network can be found at www.floridastorms.org.
By University of Florida
Download from Itunes